Do you wish to be constantly bombarded with Covid-19 news? 🤯I don’t! I’m exhausted by the हज़ार (1000) Whatsapp’s I receive daily on the subject (shoot me dead !). If isolation is the plan, why not get into it and enjoy it? Why not cook? A therapy it is I assure thou. I’m loving exploring my pantry and getting stuck into churning out recipes that will nourish my body and feed my soul.
This beautiful बैंगन (eggplant) recipe was shared with me by my Tamil friend @saikumarb1974 who enthusiastically called his mother and scribbled ingredients and a method and together we cooked a dish that left us feeling beaming and proud! It was celestial ✨:
The origin of this dish is from Andhra Pradesh – a region in the south of India 🇮🇳known for its robust flavors and high spice heat. This particular dish isn’t as hot, instead it is fragrant, rounded, silky and delicious. It’s a MUST try dish for all. Carnivores will forget meats because this dish has that weight and punch. Vegetarians will dive in and never surface. It’s gluten free. Vegan. And it’s to die for!
1 cup chopped onions
2 cups chopped tomatoes
6 garlic cloves
1/2 cup freshly chopped coriander
Vegetable oil for cooking
3 cups hot water
Salt to taste
1/2 cup chana dal
1 cup fresh coconut
3-4 whole red chili
1 tbsp black peppercorns
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1 cup peanuts
- Quarter the eggplant without separating the pieces. Leave eggplant whole. Rub with salt.
- In a deep pan, heat 2 tbsp oil and cook the eggplants untill soft. Keep aside
- Deep fry the garlic cloves in the same oil and keep aside. Discard any remaining oil.
- Roast all the dry spices in a pan without oil for 5-7 mins on low flame.
- Blend them together once cool with 2 spoons of water into a thick paste
- Heat a deep pan and add 2 tbsp oil and add onions. Cook them until golden
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 10 mins on medium flame
- Add the spice mix and incorporate well
- Add the eggplants and pour the hot water. Cover and let it simmer for 10 mins on low flame.
- Salt. Garnish with coriander and serve!